Davis and Ferber is here if you are searching for a Personal Injury Lawyer in East Hampton. We can help if you’ve been injured in an accident. We specialize in car accidents, slips and falls, and dog bites, and we have years of experience helping people get the compensation they deserve. Free consultations are available so we can learn more about your case.
What is a Personal Injury Lawyer?
A personal injury lawyer is a lawyer who represents people who have been injured, physically or psychologically, as a result of the negligence of another person, company, government agency, or other entity.
Personal injury lawyers primarily practice tort law, which is the branch of civil law covering all aspects of injuries and damages caused by wrongful conduct. Tort law includes negligence, strict liability, and intentional wrongs. To prove that someone is liable for your injuries, you must first show that they owed you a duty of care.
For example, drivers have to operate their vehicles reasonably safely. If they breach this duty and you are injured, they may be held liable for your damages.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
A personal injury lawyer helps people injured in an accident recover damage from the person or entity responsible for their injuries. This will involve filing a lawsuit and taking the case to trial in most cases. However, many personal injury cases are settled out of court, and you may be able to settle with the responsible party without ever having to file a lawsuit.
No matter how your case is resolved, a personal injury lawyer can help you by:
• Investigate the accident and gather evidence to support your claim: This may involve interviewing witnesses, reviewing police reports, and obtaining any video footage of the accident.
• Identify all potential defendants and determine who is liable for your injuries: In some cases, more than one person or entity may be responsible for your injuries. A personal injury lawyer can help you identify all potential defendants and determine who is liable for your damages.
• Negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf: Insurance companies are often more interested in protecting their own bottom line than paying you the total amount of damages you deserve. A personal injury lawyer can negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf to help you get the compensation you deserve.
• File a lawsuit and take your case to trial if necessary: If the responsible party refuses to pay you the compensation you deserve, a personal injury lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf and take your case to trial.
What Are the Steps in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
The steps in a personal injury lawsuit will vary depending on the specific facts of your case. However, there are some general steps that all personal injury cases follow:
1. The injured party files a complaint with the court.
2. The court issues a summons to the defendant.
3. The defendant files an answer to the complaint.
4. The discovery process begins. This is when both sides exchange information and gather evidence.
5. Both sides file motions with the court (such as motions for summary judgment).
6. The case goes to trial, and a verdict is rendered.
7. If the verdict favors the plaintiff, the court will enter a judgment.
8. The defendant may appeal the judgment.
East Hampton Personal Injury Lawyer
No matter what your specific case in East Hampton may entail, the personal injury lawyers at Davis and Ferber can help. We have years of experience handling all types of personal injury cases, and we will put our knowledge and skills to work for you. Contact us today for a free consultation to learn more about your case and how we can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Get a Free Consultation for Your Personal Injury Case
Our personal injury lawyers are at your disposal take care of your case, in order to help you win your case and receive the compensation you deserve. For more information on how we can assist you, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Contact Us for a Free Legal Consultation or to Discuss Your Case.
Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns, we are here to help.
Use the form or give us a call.